Founded in 1900, by Lewis Campbell, the Campbell Funeral Home originated in a row home on Fifth Avenue between Main Street and B Street, in Phoenixville. Around the 1930-40’s, the funeral home was relocated to Main Street at Fifth Avenue, where it still remains today.
Mr. Campbell’s son, Donald, eventually became involved in the family business and operated the funeral home until 1984, when he decided to retire. He sold the family funeral home to Kurt E. Klotzbach, a young funeral director with roots at both the former
Not only did Mr. Klotzbach own and operate the Campbell Funeral Home, but he lived there as well with his family, as many funeral home owners do. A short while later, he purchased a nearby residence, but remained close to the funeral home’s location.
In 1986, Mr. Klotzbach acquired the Ennis Funeral Home, which was owned and operated by G. Joseph and Marianne Ennis. This funeral home was formerly located at the corner of Second Avenue and Buttonwood Street, Phoenixville. The two businesses joined, and became the Campbell-Ennis Funeral Home.
As Mr. Klotzbach earned his reputation, the Campbell-Ennis Funeral Home continued to grow. In 1990, when he believed his reputation was strong enough, the funeral home was renamed as the Campbell-Ennis-Klotzbach Funeral Home, Inc.
Wanting to branch out to serve a larger community, Mr. Klotzbach purchased the Cattermole Funeral in Royersford, PA, which was located at Sixth Avenue and Washington Street from owners J. Roger and Betty Cattermole. This funeral home became the Cattermole-Klotzbach Funeral Home, and is still located at Sixth and Washington.
Unfortunately, all of the former owners passed away, Mr. Ennis in 1994, both Mr. Cattermole and Mr. Klotzbach in 2002, and Mr. Campbell in 2005. Today, both the funeral homes are owned and operated by the Klotzbach family, and continue to serve the Phoenixville, Royersford, and surrounding communities with the dignified services that all of the owners used as the foundation of their funeral homes.